Wednesday, April 14, 2010

BASF sold - other stocks gone wild!



Howdy Partners!
So again, I have to excuse, cause I'm really not that much of a reliable blogger these days - I somehow can't manage to write something about my portfolio!
Anyways, just to keep you updated: I sold BASF last week for 47,10 - a peek point they did not reach again up to date (lucky me).
DIC Asset is finally beginning reduce its losses and Wirecard (a company I still don't know too much about) keeps making good profits (see the picture above).
However, I am a bit disappointed that the DAX keeps defending its position, and since I'm short it sucks :(

Enough of my portfolio stuff, I wanted to share something else with you guys:
When I began trading I had the stupid thought of selling a stock at the intraday peak point.
For example, if you take Wirecard, I would have written a sell order with a limit that would maybe be 7,90 when the stock was currently selling for 7,80 or something. I thought it would be pretty smart to abuse intraday peak points, meaning that I just would sell the stock with a limit hoping that through the day the stock would rise to that point for maybe just a second and then sell at the highest possible price. Why is that stupid you ask?
Easy: By doing so, I did sell sometimes at pretty good prices, but afterall I lost more money because I lost the rest of the rise! So what I mostly do now is that I sell with a stop-loss-limit:
When the stock falls to a specified value (that's the stop) a selling order is being generated so I cut my losses (that's the loss) but still I sell with a limit then. For example today after wirecard made 2% I secured my win with the following order:

Stop-loss-limit
Stop: 7,40
Limit: 7,45
(The stock was selling for 7,52 or something at that time)
-> By the time the stock would fall under 7,40 a sell order would be generated with the limit to sell at minimum 7,45 (this is because sometimes when a stock falls it creates a certain bounce back effect meaning that people buy because the price is low). By doing this I could go all the way up without the fear of maybe losing all my winnings. Pretty cool, huh?

I can only recommend to trade like this, so you are more or less safe that you don't loose much and can participate in the whole rise of your stock. One last trading reminder: Don't forget to update you securing orders once a day (I had to learn this the hard way...)!

No comments: