Saturday, January 2, 2010

Indie Careers Part 1: Teaching


That's the classic. Teaching can be really sexy - just look at the pic (yeah cheap eyecatcher... seems to work though).
Most people don't really get the potentitial teaching has businesswise, but I'm sure you young indie entrepreneur do:
You need almost no money to start off and it's easy to get customers.
First you should think about what you want to teach, I just narrowed it down to three possibilities:

1. Private Tuition
The worse the school system in your country, the better your chances of getting hired as a private tutor for students.
The salary is not great, but it's better than most jobs you could get at that stage, plus the work environment is warm and you can sit (don't take these for granted!). Expected salary would be something about 10 - 15 €/hour in most european countrys. (maybe someone tells me how much it's elsewhere?)
If you've been at school, you must have learned something that you could pass on, so the required knowledge for this field is not very high - just pick a few subjects that you think you're good at and give it a shot (you might even consider tutoring something you really sucked at back then: I did this with 10th grade math, which I almost flunked - turns out some years later I knew the trick and that kiddo I tutored rocked his math test).
If at this point you are still unsure, think about how great it is to be a teacher.
Just remember "Dead Poets Society" and picture yourself giving some little man advice on love, and the meaning of life while helping out with the homework (Damn, how good was Dead Poets Society?). Aristoteles did it, Robin Williams did it, and you could do it too.
Extra Bonus: If you're good, you not only get paid, but it's very likely you get cookies, too ( screw you - cookies rule!)
I did tutor myself during the last years at school, and I really liked it. I think in my high times I gave about 10 h/week - so you see there is potential in there if you know how to get customers and manage your time.
Talking about customers, the easiest way to get any is to place an ad in your local newspaper - costs are about 5 bucks, but it's really worth it - if your lucky you get more customers than you could possibly handle, whick is very rare in the beginning of every business).

Short key facts:
Knowledge needed? 1/5
Getting started? 1/5
Salary? 1/5 or 2/5 depending who you tutor

I kind of lost myself here, but there some other potential fields for teachers I want to mention:
2. Teaching an instrument
If you play an instrument, consider yourself lucky. Basically everything I said before applies also here - it might be more difficult to get customers, but you can easily double the salary.
However, you really should know something about music, but if you do teaching beginners is no big deal. It may be hard to get enough customers right away, so the combination of 1 and 2 might do the trick to increase your personal cash flows.

3. Teaching something special
This is by far the most difficult field to start in. I have no experience here, but I do know some people are able to live off it pretty good. If you are really good at something most people know almost nothing about (i.e. mandarin chinese or python programming) you could teach that. It's very hard to get customers, but if you do they will pay you ridiculously high sums of money because they need your knowledge.

This was just a short introduction on how to get started. So what do you think? Does a career in teaching suit you?

No comments: