Thursday, January 21, 2010

Never listen to what others tell you

This is now something that's not only business related, but more of general thought.
Everyday people feel the need to mock someone or something, mostly because they can't do any better. Or they don't know any better. Either way, it's the same: Most people have average lives, like average music and films, fill up their spare time with average spare time activities and so on.
Average people always tend to mock others who step out of their average world.
Maybe I have to go into greater detail to prove my point:
I was a nerd, long before being a nerd was cool (in my opinion being a nerd never actually became cool, I believe in a conspiracy of VICE magazine and the horn-rimmed glasses industry, but that's another story). However, when I was a kid, most kids my age had taken an interest in sports or cartoons or other pointless kids stuff. For some reason I was fascinated by computers (yeah, I know) and wanted to learn everything about my pc and how it worked and how to build it myself, etc. Time went by and by the time I was 14 I was obliged to take an internship (my school made everyone do that). So since I could choose where to go I headed off for a two-weeks internship in my hometowns' local pc store. It was awful. I wasn't allowed to do anything on a pc, even though I was easily able to repair each and every one them. My "boss" always said something like: "You don't know knothing, you would just break it blabla I'm a giant dickhead" (I can't remember the exact words). Years later, I was repairing pcs for money and the store went bankrupt - put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Schmidt!
Another example: As I turned 16 I was given the chance to play bass in a band. The thing was: I didn't know how to play bass. I didn't even own a damn bass! But well my band mates showed me more or less what I had to play and like 2 months after that we were about to have our first paid gig (looking back, I can't really tell why anyone would have paid to see us - our music just sucked). When I told my friends, some we're really making fun of me, saying that I could never play live and that I didn't know how to play bass because I had never taken any bass classes and so on.
Well, I don't think many people can tell that they had their first paid gig before even knowing how to play their instrument - until this day, guess who didn't play in front of an audience.
My last example: Last summer I was really feeling down. I didn't know what to do, and I was broke because I didn't have a job and you know - usual stuff.
While I was hanging around in a café I met this guy, who said he needed a website for his company. Instantly I offered my services and said that I would take care of this. Just guess now. Yeah right, I never really designed a website before. When I told people, that I had charged that guy like 300 bucks for something I still couldn't do, they laughed at me telling me that I couldn't do a thing like that. Turns out I could. I took some time and spent endless hours in front of my computer screen reading and watching youtube how-to-videos until I was able to present that guy a website he still digs. And I continued designing websites.
Bottom line: There will always be people in your way, that don't approve of what you do, or how you do it. Taking advice from someone is never a bad thing, but don't let people change you and your ideas. My idea for starting this blog was mainly my fascination with unusual ways to earn money. As soon as you start something unique, something different, people will stand in your way. But you should never listen to those.
Looking back, I do not regret anything I did, I had a blast playing live without having a clue what I was doing, and I also enjoyed taking on a job I had never done before - things like this give you a whole lot of confidence. Like nike puts it: Just do it. Don't think too much about it. Do what you love, and have a great time while doing it. Always remember: Average people only have average fun.

“If I’m going to sing like someone else, then I don’t need to sing at all.” – Billie Holiday

No comments: